“We are beckoned to see the world through a one-way mirror, as if we are threatened and innocent and the rest of humanity is threatening, or wretched, or expendable. Our memory is struggling to rescue the truth that human rights were not handed down as privileges from a parliament, or a boardroom, or an institution, but that peace is only possible with justice and with information that gives us the power to act justly.”
John Pilger

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Race, Gender and Academic Jobs

INSIDE HIGHER EDUCATION - May 28, 2014

By Anonymous

This is a story about race and gender in the academic job market.
Before I begin I should probably explain that I went on the market as an associate professor. Why did I do this to myself? Briefly, my family and I live very far from our relatives. Also, I am currently the lowest-paid tenure-track faculty member in my department and was told by the man paid to manage me that if I wanted a raise I would probably need to get a new job or at least an offer that might prompt a counteroffer.
So I went on the job market and was lucky enough to score a campus interview for an assistant professor position at an liberal arts college in an ideal location. Let's just call this place Rich Liberal Arts College (RLAC). If I got a job at RLAC my family and I would be very close to our relatives. We’d be very close to several major cultural centers where my daughters and I could go to museums and see concerts and shows on a regular basis. And, most promising, this entry-level position would pay me over $10,000 more per year than I am currently making in my tenured position (plus more after tenure).

READ MORE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment